THE BRONX COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1955-PRESENT

The Bronx County Historical Society, founded in 1955, is a private, non-profit, educational and cultural institution chartered by the New York State Board of Regents. The BCHS, the historical agency for The Bronx, a county of New York State and a borough of the city of New York, is dedicated to the collection, preservation, documentation and interpretation of the history of The Bronx and lower Westchester County from its earliest historical references in the 17th century through the present.

The BCHS disseminates information to the general public, schools, students, historians, urban planners and staff of other museums and libraries on the historical, social and economic development of The Bronx. It utilizes its collections in exhibitions, both in-house and traveling, historical research, oral history projects, production of publications and educational and cultural programming. BCHS operates a research library, The Bronx County Archives and two national landmark historic house museums, the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage and the Museum of Bronx History at the Valentine-Varian House.

The common theme in all of these activities is the restoration of pride in The Bronx through an awareness of the borough’s true place in the history and development of the region and the nation. The buildings maintained by BCHS are major attractions and also serve as anchors around which stable neighborhoods can develop and thrive.